My adventures with making ice cream. And eating it, too.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Roasted Banana

As part of the fun for Reach the Beach, I made ice cream sandwiches. I used peanut butter cookies and roasted banana ice cream. The ice cream recipe came from Lebovitz, again. That book is going straight onto my Christmas list.

Roasting the bananas in brown sugar and butter deepened the flavor and also added a taste that was close to caramel. I did make a slight mistake, or rather I did something that just annoyed me. I roasted double-batch worth of bananas in two 9x9 pans. I took them out of the oven and then got distracted. The bananas and the liquid at the bottom of the pans cooled off and hardened. So, it was back into the still-warm oven for a few minutes to loosen things up. Other than that gaff, it was another very easy recipe.

The combination of peanut butter and bananas was very pleasing. Putting mini-chocolate chips around the edge of the sandwich was tasty finishing touch.

3 comments:

EricG said...

I loved these ice cream sandwiches. I am hard pressed to decide whether they were better than last year's mint chocolate chip. I have never been a fan of mint ice cream and I have always loved chocolate, PB and banana and permutations of each with the other. Having said that, I may still have to give the edge from this palate to the mint chocolate chip. They were so sublime that I went out and bought mint chocolate chip ice cream which was very disappointing in comparison. Thanks Ryan.

Obscure Reference said...

I need to figure out how to get closer to ice-cream sandwich pick-up location. They sound marvelous.

Unknown said...

How can we bring this blog back to life? Is ice cream season starting soon? (I hear it's one week to paddles and frappers.) :^p

About Me

I live in Connecticut, which results in a nice assortment of fresh fruits in the summer. I can afford all of this ice cream on a caloric basis because I enjoy long-distance running.